Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Photo Quote of the Week

If you buy a flute, you own a flute. So why is it that when you buy a camera, you're a photographer? - Anonymous


So normally I don't post anything after the quote ( I know, I know this is only the third quote, still you know what I mean) mostly because I find myself at a loss for words, however, today I have something to say.


As a developing photographer, I often feel so under-appreciated. When my family tries to refer me to friends and acquaintances, they often get a response similar this:


"Oh yeah, my (insert relative here) has a new camera and (insert same relative here) 
takes great pictures!"

Ugh, so what you're saying is anyone with a camera is a photographer?!

I only partially agree. 

Everyone with a camera has the potential to be a photographer. Now that I've immersed myself in photography, I see the differences between a person holding a camera and a photographer holding a camera.
(Trust me, I know it. I often find myself as the person and not the photographer, at least it feels that way, very frustrating.)

Hopefully, someday we can make people understand that owning a camera does not make you a photographer, just like owning a flute does not make you a flutist.
(Is that even right, flutist?)

{LPS}

No comments:

Post a Comment